For Momma - Memorial Slide Show (Turn Playlist Music off before watching)

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday Night Fun with Randy - Favorite Music


"It's Saturday Night - time for some Genealogy, and Family History, Fun!Here is your assignment for the evening - if you wish to participate in the Fun (cue the Mission Impossible music):1. What is your all-time favorite song? Yep, number 1. It's hard to choose sometimes. If you made your favorite all-time Top 40 music selections, what would be #1?2. Tell us about it. Why is it a favorite? Do you have special memories attached to this song? 3. Write your own blog post about it, or make a comment on this post or on the Facebook entry." Here's mine:


Well Randy has come up with another idea to tax our brains! It's very difficult to pick my number one song of all time. There are so many categories that my favorites fall into - but this evening I choose one that brings back happy times from my childhood. Johnny Horton's - The Battle of New Orleans. I had a small turntable that was in a box much like a suitcase. I don't know what ever happened to it. I'm actually surprised that I don't still have it! ha ha - I was a silly little 7 year old when the song first came out in 1959. My girlfriends and I would sit on the stoop and play our 45 records all afternoon. Maybe some of you don't remember 45's? We must have played that recording a gazillion times. We thought it was so so funny when Johnny would sing - "we grabbed and alligator and powdered his behind" - of course at 7 we thought that meant they spanked the gator. I still have that old 45 - those were the days my friend - those were the days.


You can listen to the song by clicking on this link to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxB42cjHTGg&feature=related


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I love Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans! In high school we used to cruise around our small town and play a Johnny Horton tape at full blast! Did you notice the transcription of the lyrics? "Briars" becomes "wires" and "Ol' Hick'ry" becomes "Old Hitcreek"! Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice that too on the lyrics - At first I thought I was singing it wrong all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that song very well! I, too, had a 45 player & loved that song -- so did my mom. In fact, while I was playing it, she started in on an impromptu tap dance & got so enthusiastic and jumped around so much, she made the record arm hop and jump several record grooves. I had to be careful when I played that record after that or it would skip and jump every place she landed especially hard. That made for many a laugh and a giggle for years after. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails